Overview & Aspiration
PETRONAS Ionic Liquids Centre (PILC) was established in November 2009 as a result of a collaborative effort between Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP), PETRONAS Research Sdn. Bhd. (PRSB) and PETRONAS Group Technology Research Management (GTRM). The Centre was established with an initial funding from the Petroleum Research Fund (PRF) contributed through PETRONAS.
The objectives of the Centre are to:
Develop new potential ionic liquids and possible technologies required for their development in various industrial applications.
Develop new intellectual property for the purpose of enhancing UTP and PETRONAS' image globally.
Partner with PETRONAS in applying the technology in the oil and gas industry as well as other industries.
Provide services to industry in the form of continuing education and technical advice/service.
The Centre has the aspiration to become a Centre of excellence in exploitation of ionic liquid technology particularly for the oil and gas industry.
Facilities & Lab Equipment
Centre of Research in Ionic Liquids (CORIL) also offers analytical services as listed below:
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) 500 MHz (Liquid & Solid)
- Raman Spectroscopy
- Fourier-transform Infrared spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Ultraviolet Visible (UV-Vis)
- Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)
- Thermogravimetry Analyzer (TGA)
- Total Sulphur Analyzer (TSA)
- Gas Chromatography-Sulphur Chemiluminescene (GC-SCD)
- Ion Chromatography (IC)
- Autotitrator T70
- Karl Fischer Water Content
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Electrochemical Impedance Spectrometer (EIS)
- Interfacial Tension (IFT)
- Dynamic Light Scattering / Particle Sizer
- COSMO RS
- Design Expert
- Mnova NMR
- Toxicity (EC50, IC50 , LC50, LD50 , LC50, LD50)
- Gas Absorption/Adsorption
- Baffled oil test
Our e-Book Ionic Liquids Synthesis is now for sale.
AP Dr Mohamad Azmi bin Bustam@Khalil
Head, Centre of Research in Ionic Liquids (CORIL)
Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP)
Bandar Seri Iskandar
31750 Tronoh, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia
General Enquiries (for public)
UCampus (for existing students)