The Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Applied Chemistry Programme is aligned with UTP's
Mission Statements to produce skilled knowledge workers, addressing the nation's call
for more scientists and technologists especially in the areas
of Petrochemistry, and Sustainable Chemistry. This programme is
developed to nurture students into competent graduates with the knowledge,
understanding, skills and values required in our move towards a high income
This exclusive programme adopts the multi-mode educational delivery system which
emphasises on student-centred learning, practical-based approach and experiential
learning, as individuals or in teams, intended to realise UTP's seven
(7) attributes for a well-rounded graduate model. The programme stresses the need for
firm foundation in Fundamental Chemistry, followed by advanced courses such as
Separation Process, Petrochemical Processes, Hydrocarbon Chemistry,
Computational Chemistry, Analytical Instrumentation, Quantum Chemistry and Molecular
Spectroscopy. Students learning experience is also enhanced with the incorporation of
the multidisciplinary Science Team Project and also the
compulsory 7-month structured Student Industrial Internship Programme.
In addition to the above, students are given the opportunity to choose their
specialisation in any of the following areas:
Programme Educational Objectives
- Chemists who are competent with the potential to become leaders in industries related to Applied
- Chemists who are committed to sustainable development of Applied Chemistry for the betterment
of the society.
- Acquire knowledge and understanding of Chemistry.
- Solve problems related to Chemistry and its applications.
- Apply knowledge of Chemistry to conduct practicals, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- Communicate effectively with community at large.
- Use scientific techniques, skills or tools necessary for professional practice.
- Demonstrate effective leadership and team players for life-long learning.
- Demonstrate business acumen, entrepreneurial skills and social responsibility.
- Conduct applied chemistry project in an ethical and professional manner.
In order to graduate with the Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Applied Chemistry, students are required to
obtain a minimum of
127 credit hours and a minimum CGPA of 2.00.
Summary of Courses Required for Graduation
Course Group (G)
Number of Credit Hours
|NR - National Requirement
|UR - University Requirement
|CC - Core Common
|CD - Core Discipline
|CI - Core Industrial Internship
|CSp - Core Specialisation