Overview & Aspiration
The Design & Prototyping Centre (DPC) is a Service Centre that provides design and prototyping services to support research activities within and outside the University. It is well equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. The centre was initially conceived to produce high quality prototypes and to reduce the cost of design and prototyping, by utilising facilities within the University. DPC aspires to play a major role in enhancing research and innovation among the University community and industry, by providing an avenue for translating ideas and creativity into a proof of concept.
The roles and functions of DPC are:
- To support design and prototyping work
- To provide design and prototyping services in a timely manner, at a competitive price
DPC provides the following services:
Conceptual design, detailed drawing, solid modeling, design for manufacture and assembly of parts, products and systems
Rapid prototyping, CNC machining, complex part fabrication, assembly and retrofitting
Design of experiments, experimental setup and support, rapid control prototyping, data acquisition and instrumentation, system and component testing, product development and quality improvement, structural analysis/finite element analysis, and system integration
- Assembly and retrofitting
- System and process integration
- Design of experiment
- Data acquisition and instrumentation
- Rapid control prototyping
Examples of Completed Projects
- Modification of engine blocks for a national car manufacturer.
- Fabrication of complex functional prototypes for a novel gas separation test rig, under a project funded by an oil and gas major.
- Retrofitting of a conventional passenger car into a fully electric vehicle.
- Prototyping a novel internal combustion engine. Short course on Computer Aided Engineering
- Short course on Computer Aided Engineering
Head, Design & Prototyping Centre (DPC)
Nor Shahrul Abu Bakar
Engineer, Design & Prototyping Centre (DPC)
Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP)
32610 Seri Iskandar,
Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia
General Enquiries (for public)
UCampus (for existing students)