UTP Research Advisory Council (RAC) members met for the third time to discuss the university’s research development that will comprehensively look into three major domains, namely research direction, network and linkages and UTP Research Park. This is in line with this year’s meeting themed “Research Excellence In Support of UTP’s Aspiration”.
The Council members discussed on areas of opportunities that UTP can focus and leverage on achieving the status of global prominence as an oil and gas focused-university, against the backdrop of UTP’s current research focus and potential niche areas.
They also deliberated on the ideal strategies and initiatives on successful implementation of university-industry-government partnerships vis-à-vis joint industry projects and the right business model to attract industry players and ensure sustainability of UTP’s Research Park.
The RAC acts as a forum to exchange ideas between academicians and the industries, in addition to providing guidance and strategic direction on the university’s research development.
Members of the Council are prominent individuals who will contribute to UTP’s strategic development by providing advice and direction to assist the university to realise its aspiration to become internationally recognised as a partner of choice for the oil & gas industry and a respected members of scientific communities. The Council comprises the following members:
- UTP Vice Chancellor, Datuk Ir (Dr) Abdul Rahim Hashim (Chairman)
- Prof Abid Khan, Deputy Vice Chancellor/Vice President (Global Engagement), Monash University, Australia
- Prof Saman K. Halgamuge, Associate Dean, Melbourne School of Engineering, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Dato’ Hj Mash‘al Ahmad, Managing Director, Lynas Malaysia Sdn Bhd
- Dato’ Dr Zainal Abidin M Yusof, President/Chief Executive Officer, SIRIM Berhad
- Dato’ Kamarul Redzuan Muhamed, Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, UZMA Group
- Rao Abdullah, Region Vice President Asia Pacific, Halliburton Energy Services Sdn Bhd
- Ng Wan Peng, CEO, Multimedia Development Corporation
- Dato’ Prof Dr Asma Ismail, Deputy General Higher Education, Ministry of Education
- Dr Zulkifli Mohamed Hashim, Deputy Secretary General (Science), Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation;
- Dr S. Asmaliza Ismail, Head, National Institutes of Health (NIH) Secretariat, NIH, Ministry of Health
- Mr Chuah Beng Swee, Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Technology and Engineering Division, PETRONAS
- Prof A Rashid Abd Aziz, Deputy Vice Chancellor Research & Innovation, UTP
- Azminuddin Affandi, Senior Manager, Research & Innovation, UTP
Prior to this meeting, Prof Halgamuge delivered a lecture entitled “Research in the Changing Internationalisation Landscape” to UTP Management, Mission Oriented Research Directors, Head of Centre of Excellence and researchers at UTP campus.