UTP Grabs Spotlight at MTE 2015
(12 – 14 February 2015)
Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP) has once again done itself proud, this time at the Malaysia Technology Expo (MTE) 2015 where it took home a total of ten awards in this annual prestigious event.
The university won five Gold, two Silver and two Bronze awards, with one of its entries also accorded special recognition. These achievements are especially significant as nine out of ten entries forwarded by UTP won awards.
These awards from the MTE bear testimony to UTP’s commitment for continual progress and advancement.
First held in 2001, the MTE is today the leading international invention and innovation expo in the region. It is organised by the Malaysian Association of Research Scientists to recognise excellence in innovation while also providing participants with a platform to introduce their new products to the market.
This annual expo showcases more than 500 entries each year and is mainly targeted at trade visitors. This year, there were more than 300 product entries and participation from researchers, scientists and innovators from the government, private higher learning institutions and individuals, locally and abroad.
“UTP’s accomplishment in this exhibition is another significant step which takes it closer to its ultimate goal of being internationally recognised as a world-class research university. Showcasing UTP’s capacity and tenacity for research, it places the university on the global stage amidst other universities and research institutions, putting the university in good stead for further international collaboration,” said UTP Vice Chancellor, Datuk Ir (Dr) Abdul Rahim Hashim.
To date, UTP has participated in 41 exhibitions with a total of 552 entries. From these, the university has proudly won a highly commendable total of 561 medals and special awards.
Not one to rest on its laurels of past successes and accomplishments, the university constantly strives for betterment and improvement, and is persistently working on new ideas and innovations to bring to the market.
This year’s special award from MTE was received by Dr Noreen Izza Arshad for Stutter Manager, a product that helps those who stutter with technology.
These MTE awards not only contribute towards the university’s resume of inventions and innovations but also open up opportunities for the commercialisation of its new products and ideas.
Awards won by UTP at MTE 2015
- Stutter Manager led by Dr Noreen Izza Arshad (MTE Special Award)
- Integrated Methyl Esters Blending System using Hydrodynamic Cavitation (IMeBS) led by Assoc Prof Dr Suzana Yusup
- Poseidon: Structural Health Monitoring System for Offshore Structures led by Assoc Prof Ir Dr Mohd Shahir Liew
- MobileApps Islamic Ruqyah Medication System (M-IRMS) led by Dr Hanita Daud
- Autistherapibot: A New Robotic Approach for Autistic Kids led by Dr Norshuhani Zamin
- INSIGNE - Staff Locater Badge led by Assoc Prof Dr Mohd Haris Md Khir
- MFolktales: Malay Folktales App (MFAC) led by Assoc Prof Dr Wan Fatimah Wan Ahmad
- Slip-on Sprocket: Solution for the Global Farming Community led by Assoc Prof Dr Ahmad Majdi Abd Rani
- Electro Power VEHS led by Assoc Prof Dr Mohd Haris Md Khir