BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (HONS) IN APPLIED PHYSICS (JPT/BPP (N/441/6/0005)9/19)
1. IntroductionBachelor of Science (Honours) Applied Physics is a full-time programme offered by the Department of Fundamental and Applied Sciences (DFAS).The entry requirements for this programme is UTP’s Foundation Studies programme or any other equivalent qualification (STPM, A-level, Matriculation, and others). English is the medium of instruction, with the exception of some national requirement courses that will be delivered in Bahasa Malaysia and other language courses such as French.In line with UTP’s mission statements, the Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Applied Physics is developed to prepare skilled knowledge workers to meet the industry’s demands for experts in Physics applications with the emphasis on Nanotechnology, Renewable Energy and Oil & Gas Exploration.This program will also address the nation’s call to produce more scientists and technologists in our move towards high income society.The 3.5-year programme is also enriched with the offer of a 7-month Industrial Internship Training for all students, either locally or internationally.DFAS faculty members, with strong background in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, are qualified and experienced teaching staffs to nurture students to become competent and innovative graduates.Career opportunities from the industries, government, academia and R&D sectors are enourmous for the programme graduates. These include Computational Physicists, Quality Control Physicists, Renewable Energy Physicists, Process Engineers and Research Scientists.
2. Programme Educational ObjectiveTo produce science workforce in the field of Applied Physics with the potential to become leaders in industries and R&D, with the emphasis in Oil & Gas, Renewable Energy and Nanotechnology.
3. Programme OutcomesTo produce graduates with the following outcomes:
4. Graduation RequirementsIn order to graduate with the Bachelor of Science (Honours) Applied Physics degree, students are required to obtain aminimum of 128 credit hours and a minimum CGPA of 2.00.
Summary of Courses Required for Graduation
Course Group (G)
Number of Credit Hours
NR - National Requirement
UR - University Requirement
CI – Core- Industrial Training
5. Major ElectivesChoose any of the following sets of Major Elective’s areas (set A or B or C) for Major Elective I, II, III and IV.
Fundamentals of Nanotechnology
Simulation and Design of Nanostructures
Renewable Energy Conversions
Renewable Energy Informatics
Green Electricity Generation
Oil and Gas Exploration
Seismic Theory & Practices
Electromagnetics: Theory and Practices
Physical &Structural Geology
Petro Physics & Well-logging
6. Career ProspectsThere is a diverse range of professions and career paths available from the graduates of this programme such as in: