In order to ensure that graduates will be able to meet employers’ expectations, students are required to undergo industrial internship for 7 months before entering the final year at UTP. The Industrial Internship Programme will allow employers to play an active role in developing the attributes and expertise required by the industry.
Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP) was established with the objective to produce well-rounded graduates who are not only technically competent but also possess other traits such as lifetime learning capacity, critical thinking, communication and behavioral skills, business acumen, practical aptitude and solution synthesis ability.
For this reason, UTP has made it compulsory for its undergraduate students to undergo practical works in the form of an eight-month industrial internship programme prior to their completion of studies at UTP. It is anticipated that the experience gained from this programme will complement and enhance their knowledge and understanding learned at the University.
UTP has always placed great emphasis in having a close cooperation with the industries. This internship programme is a prime example of the University – Industry collaboration.
Currently, UTP offers five engineering programmes namely Chemical, Civil, Electrical & Electronics, Mechanical and Petroleum, and three technological programmes namely Information & Communication Technology, Business Information Systems and Petroleum Geoscience at Bachelors degree level.
LEARNING OUTCOMES OF INDUSTRIAL INTERNSHIP
At the end of internship student should be able to:
- Apply theoretical knowledge in industrial application.
- Acquire skills in communication, management and team-work.
- Practice ethical and professional work culture.
- Implement Health Safety Environment (HSE) practices at workplace.
The Industrial Internship shall include the following activities:
- Hands-on training
- Real project-based assignments
- Research-based activities
- Team-work activities
- Leadership and management skills
- Safety awareness
ROLES AND FUNCTIONS OF THE HOST COMPANIES AND UTP
Host Companies play an important roles in ensuring the success of the industrial internship programme. They are expected to provide the following support :
- Plan and schedule the overall internship programme to ensure that it provides maximum opportunity for students to obtain useful experience related to their field of study.
- Supervise and guide students in their projects.
- Assess students’ logbooks and check their detail reports.
- Evaluate students’ performance throughout the training period.
- Jointly evaluate students’ oral presentation together with UTP supervisors at the end of the Industrial Internship Programme.
- Encouraged to provide monthly allowances to the students.
- Provide the necessary recommendations to improve the programme.
- Coordinate the follow-up visits by UTP supervisors :
- Pre-Visit and briefing to the Host Company’s management (if necessary)
- First Visit (monitoring the student and discussion with supervisor)
- Second Visit (joint assessment – student performance and oral presentation)
The Student Industrial Internship Unit also holds the responsibility to ensure the students will complete the training on the stipulated time and manage arising matters pertaining to the internship attachment either with the student or Host Company.
- Ensure that only students who meet all the requirements stated by the University to attend the internship attachment
- Explain to the students about the rules & regulations set by the University and the consequences of falling to adhere.
- Remind the students to follow the rules & regulations of the host company during the internship period
- Advice that students should discuss with both UTP and Host Company should there are any matters pertaining to their internship attachment
- Interns available are from the following Programmes :
- Civil Engineering Programme
- Mechanical Engineering Programme
- Chemical Engineering Programme
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering Programme
- Petroleum Engineering Programme
- Information & Communication Technology (ICT) Programme
- Business Information Systems (BIS) Programme
- Petroleum Geoscience Programme
- Duration of training is for 7 months.
- Placement time frame – January – June, June – December, October - April
- UTP supervisors will visit the students at the Host Company twice during the industrial internship session.
- The students are also covered by group personal insurance during the training period. (including offshore activities)